Hi, I’m Emma, editor of Muddy Stilettos Northants. I’m a travel and lifestyle writer with 20 years’ experience, having cut my journalistic teeth at former Covent Garden institution The Lady magazine. I’ve bounced about freelancing all over the world since then and finally came back to live in my home county of Northamptonshire in 2018, along with my husband, our two daughters and a burgeoning collection of animals.
Home is a tiny, traditional ironstone village without even a shop so, out of necessity, I do get about scouring our rich and varied county for coffee, gin and any other goings on. Growing up in this peaceful part of the world was idyllic, but back then it wasn’t exactly a happening place and I escaped to London the minute I could. Today Northamptonshire is an entirely different story, with so much going on, incredible food, music, design, art, performance, adventure, and a real entrepreneurial spirit infusing every corner of the county, my aim is to seek out the absolute best of Northants for you to enjoy.
Muddy Stilettos first tottered into the world in Summer 2011 as a bit of fun for the founder, Hero Brown. The idea was a simple one: to write a witty but indispensable local guide to the very best restaurants, walks, boutiques, day trips, hotels, interiors and events (whilst also perking up her social life). So as you can imagine, when the chance arose to be Editor of Northants, I almost bit her hand off! As well as being an indispensable local guide, it’s also a platform for local businesses to get their message across and for us to see what an amazing and creative county we live in. Muddy Stilettos can now be found in 24 counties, with editions in Berkshire, Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Essex, Gloucestershire, Hampshire, the Isle of White, Hertfordshire, Leicestershire, Kent, Northants, Northamptonshire (me!), Norfolk, Somerset, Suffolk, Surrey, Sussex, Warwickshire and Wiltshire, with more counties to follow later this year.
This is the Muddy Mantra, so you know what to expect from the site:
- I try everything out myself so that you can fully trust my opinions. On the occasions that I haven’t been somewhere myself, I let you know that’s the case.
- I don’t write advertorial. This means I will never accept payment to write about something I don’t believe in.
- Muddy Stilettos is a commercial site and accepts advertising and payment to feature products and brands. However, we believe passionately in only working with brands that share our ethos and are relevant to our readers. We retain editorial control and independence at all times.
- I won’t write nasty reviews. I’m not into trashing people, brands or companies, but if the experience wasn’t good enough, I won’t write about it in Muddy Stilettos, regardless of whether I have paid for the experience or not. This gives me the editorial control I need for a successful site and the trust that my readers require.
- I accept tickets to free shows, festivals, restaurants, events etc. with the purpose of reviewing or publicising them on Muddy Stilettos (as I’m sure you appreciate it’s pretty expensive zipping around trying stuff out all of the time). Hotels, restaurants, cafes, bars – if you would like me to try you out, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @muddynorthants.
I really do hope you love the site; please tell your friends about it, and sign up for my marvellardo newsletter, delivered to your inbox!